VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)


VITA header


Free In-person Tax Preparation Assistance

Every year in Central Georgia, hardworking, moderate-to low-income families lack access to certified and IRS trained tax preparers and fail to claim important tax credits. In partnership with the IRS, United Way of Central Georgia leads a coalition to provide free tax preparation by IRS-trained and certified volunteers. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) coalition provides free tax preparation services and asset building resources to working families with moderate to low incomes.
This tax preparation is available to individuals who generally make $57,000 or less, people with disabilities or limited English speaking abilities, or to those who are 60 years of age or older. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.  

2023 Information and Hours (Appointments Required)

Centenary United Methodist Church

1185 Ash St. Macon, GA
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10:00AM - 3:00PM
To schedule an appointment, call: (478)207-7715
January 23 - April 18


Hunt School Village 

990 Shurling Drive, Macon, GA
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:00AM - 2:00PM 
To schedule an appointment, call: (478)752-5172
January 23 - April 18


For Veterans: 

VECTR Center
1001 S Armed Forces Blvd Warner Robins, Ga

Tuesday, Thursday 9:00AM - 3:00PM
To schedule an appointment, call: (478)207-7715
January 23 - April 18




What To Bring:

•    All Forms W-2 and 1099
•    Proof of identification for yourself and/or your spouse
•    Birth dates for you, spouse, and/or dependents on the return
•    ACA Statements – Forms 1095-A, B, C
•    For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
•    Information for other income
•    Information for all deductions/credits
•    Total paid to child and/or dependent care provider and their Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) (SSN or business EIN)
•    A copy of last year’s tax return
•    For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
•    Proof of account for direct deposit of refund
•    Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or dependents
•    Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN



Online Free Tax Preparation

You can also file your taxes online yourself! United Way has made MyFreeTaxes available to over 100 million U.S. taxpayers as part of our fight for the financial stability of every person in every community. 

MyFreeTaxes is completely free – whether you file in multiple states, work freelance, have a side gig, or earn investment income.

If you'd like to utilize our FREE online service to do your own taxes, click the MyFreeTaxes logo. Telephone and Email Support is available if you have questions while preparing your taxes.

MyFreeTaxes is also available in Spanish (en Español). To utilize the Spanish version, click here

MyFreeTaxes Logo